22nd September 2016
history of Dacre ' s and Otley housing
Our speaker was David Philip telling us about Dacre,Son and Hartley.
David had been with the firm for 40 years and recalled many changes which had occurred
The firm was first established in 1825 in a room in an old textile works in Bramhope before moving to Otley in 1847. Douglas Hartley from Ilkley amalgamated with Dacre's in 1936. Their work was varied and on one occasion in much earlier days they were involved in arbitration with Sir Titus Salt. Coming up to date,the firm are the largest estate agents in the area and have 21 offices and 175 Staff. They were the first to introduce photographs,black and white and then colour into brochures and then to lnclude floor plans also.They are currently dealing with about 7500 accounts.
David told us they sometimes have dealt with properties which boasted a ghost and remembers particularly Swinsty Hall. We did not hear if the ghost is still active! A vote of thanks was proposed by Clive Moyns.
The speaker at our next meeting at 10 am at the Methodist Church on October 6th will be Peter Calvert talking on. "Hi-de-Hi revisited".