OTLEY AND DISTRICT MEN’S FORUM

Back to Programme for the year

Back to www.otley.co.uk

  Planning – How They Get Away With Building That
Cllr Clive Fox

A great deal of planning and consideration of his material contributed towards making a very interesting talk out of what could have been a boring subject when Cllr Clive Fox told us about Planning.

We learned that you can not own land, but can own its title: and that all land has been nationalised since the Town & Country Planning Act of 1947.

If you wish to build and stay within the law you need planning permission. When “Planning Applications” are made they often attract “Objections”. Surprisingly the grounds for objection are severely limited. You cannot object if the planning applied for reduces the value of your property or spoils the view from your house or contravenes a covenant. The two major reasons for the consideration of an objection are “Privacy” and “Access & Traffic”. Even if the objection is a large petition it is considered only as a single objection. If valid it will be considered, along with the application by Planning Officers. About 97% of applications are concluded by these people but the remaining 3% are dealt with by “Planning Panels”. From there, when the applicant and the objector are rigidly and diametrically opposed, it can escalate through various stages to become a Public Enquiry.

Even “Green Belt” land can be built upon. Agricultural Buildings, Sports Grounds, Park & Ride Facilities and Cemeteries are all allowed on Green Belt. Care is required when applying for Planning Permission in Conservation Areas or where Tree Preservation Orders apply. But the best advice is: consult a Planning Officer and your neighbours before proceeding with an application.


On Thursday November 6th we again welcome one of our favourites Mr Ian Dewhirst MBE who will regale us with his humour in The Main Hall of Otley Civic Centre at 10-00am.   

Back to Programme for the year

Back to www.otley.co.uk